After the amalgamation of Pasadena and Midland in 1955, the community began to grow enormously over the years. Over time, it became evident that there was potential for a library to exist in the community. The first library board was formed in March of 1971, with William Pardy elected as the first chairmain. The first library was opened in Pasadena on June 10, 1972. Marjorie Goodyear was the first librarian. The population of Pasadena at the time was 1058. The shelving for the library came from the old Gosling Memorial Library in St. John’s, which was being renovated at the time. Through the Western Region of the Newfoundland Public Library Services, the Pasadena library was able to obtain 1500 books, and a grant of $1600.
Pasadena continued to grow and develop, and by the 1970s, the population had reached close to 3000. Due to these developments, the library also grew, expanding its book stock to over 6000 books, and increasing the opening hours from 12 to 20 hours. By 1980, it was evident that the library was in desperate need of expanding, as they were running out of space. Construction of the new library began in 1983, and was opened in June of 1985.
Today, the library is still an important part of the community. The current (2015) librarian is Angela Menchion, and she has had the position for the last seven years. Even with advancing technologies, the library continues to be a resource in the community. They offer programs for younger children, including story and craft time. They also offer a book club for elementary school students. The head individual for the elementary school book club currently is Rachel Spicer.
Visit them on Facebook!
For another point of view check out our interview with Barb Spontaneo.