Traditional Skills – Rug Hooking
September 15 @ 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm$60.00
We are pleased to welcome Roy Evans, President of the Rug Hooking Guild of Newfoundland and Labrador, as he leads two rug hooking sessions for us!
This workshop will be of particular interest to people who enjoy working with their hands and a fibre art as well as to anyone interested in learning about a traditional Newfoundland and Labrador craft and acquiring the skills needed to pursue it independently.
This class will teach the basic technique, allowing enough time for each participant to complete a coaster Kit.
The workshop is suitable for adolescents and adults. No previous Hooking experience is required.
Session One – September 15, 2019
- Introduction to Rug Hooking and it’s place in the culture and heritage of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Display of different types of Hooked rugs
- Display of Rug Hooking Learning materials
- Choice of project and distribution of materials
- Practice of pulling a loop and making a turn
- Start working on individual projects
- Review of basic technique
- Opportunity to browse materials on display
- Participants work independently to hook coaster
- Instructor circulates to answer questions,make observations and offer individual advice
Session Two – September 22, 2019
- Repeat activities of Session 1
- Explanation of how to finish a rug using the traditional whipping technique
- Opportunity to browse other patterns and learning materials
- Question and answer period
- Introduction to the Rug Hooking Guild Of Newfoundland and Labrador